Quantum League Book 1: Spell Robbers

quantum_league

>>> Update:ย I get a LOT of email and blog comments asking when the second book in the series will be out. I wish I had a definitive answer. I can tell you I’ve written the second book, and my publisher has it, but it’s up to them when it comes out. The best thing to do is to tell your local bookseller you’re ready for it and you want it. <<<

A “high-energy spy story.” – Kirkus

“Kirby infuses this action-packed spy thriller with layers of moral ambiguity… This first book in the Quantum League series provides satisfying partial closure, while intriguing storylines to be developed will leave readers eager for the next installment.” – Publishers Weekly

Synopsis:

After Ben Warner is recruited to join a “science camp” led by the eccentric quantum physicist Dr. Madeleine Hughes, he quickly realizes it’s no regular science camp. Along with his new friend, Peter, Ben discovers the secret, powerful art of Actuation–the ability to change reality by simply imagining it differently.

When a mysterious group of men invade Dr. Hughes’s laboratory, abducting her and stealing her precious equipment, Ben and Peter are suddenly caught up in a turf war between dangerous actuators desperate for Dr. Hughes’s innovative technology. And as Ben and Peter are pulled into a perilous, hidden world full of impossibilities now made possible, will their combined powers be enough to save Dr. Hughes and vanquish their enemies before it’s too late?

From Edgar Award-winning author Matthew J. Kirby comes a fast-paced, boldly imagined tale of friendship, deadly adventure, and the infinite power of imagination.

An totally awesome fan-made book trailer:

Leave one

444 Responses

1. Allen

/  December 28, 2014

I saw the cover of the book, “The Arctic Code” it looks so cool. I can’t wait for it.

2. David

/  February 5, 2015

Matthew do you know when the second book is coming out?

3. John dee

/  February 12, 2015

Hi i just have a question. In the quantum league, ben was detached, meaning his connection to everyone he knew was gone. That being said, why did dr hughes remember him when they were in the van with poole?

/  February 12, 2015

Hey, good question, my friend. The Quantum League was aware of Dr. Hughes and her program, watching from a distance, just as the Dread Cloaks were. Leaving her attached was a strategic move, just in case the League needed that attachment in place for her to work with Ben and Peter. Does that make sense?

4. John dee

/  February 12, 2015

thanks that makes perfect sense. One more question, when do you think the 2nd book is coming out?

/  February 12, 2015

Not exactly sure, unfortunately. I’ve written a draft and my publisher has it. I know they’re talking about when they might release it. Best thing is to just let your bookstore know you want it!

• Clay

/  February 26, 2015

Do you think you know when the second book is coming out? I read the first one and i was up all night with a flashlight under my blanket reading it, once the table shut i was hooked

• Corey Jackson-Bean

/  March 3, 2015

dude i do the same thing with my light up glasses instead tho

• Becca

/  April 1, 2015

What is the second book called?

5. John dee

/  February 13, 2015

ok thanks

6. John dee

/  February 14, 2015

One more question. How was ben able to shoot fireballs at targets

7. David

/  February 16, 2015

How did Ben not know he could actuate class 3’s?

/  April 21, 2015

As with most talents and skills, actuation is something you have to practice, and you realize gradually how good you are at it. Like the first time a basketball player dunks. There has to be a first time, and that was Ben’s first Class 3. It’s not his last. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• I’m excited to find this page. I wanted to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to look at new information on your website.

• Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

8. Jake

/  February 17, 2015

Yeah, I have the same question as David.

9. bob

/  February 18, 2015

so the new book is coming out this feburary

10. chuck

/  February 18, 2015

i just had a question i have read the book and was just wondering how did ben ride the anger of being detached that far to were he could summon a class 3 with out his stone or his coin when before he could barley do a class 1

/  April 21, 2015

He realized the power was inside him, not outside him, so he didn’t need the locus anymore.

11. Clay

/  February 26, 2015

So Ben was detached but is there any way that someone could remember him? Like his mom or someone?

/  April 21, 2015

No, once you’ve been detached from someone it’s like you never existed to them. Until you get reattached…

12. Mikey

/  March 9, 2015

Where can the 2nd book be found in stores like barns and Nobel

/  April 21, 2015

When it comes out, it will be in bookstores like Barnes & Noble.

13. when is the second book coming out ?? im really wish it come out faster cuz is a very nice book

/  April 21, 2015

Thanks. I still don’t know when it’s coming out, unfortunately.

14. kameron carter

/  March 18, 2015

when is the second book

15. kameron carter

/  March 18, 2015

When is the second book coming out?

16. April Wender

/  March 29, 2015

My son loved the Quantum League (actually so did his three sisters). We are looking forward to the second book. We hope your publisher is quick! Is there a way to tell Amazon that we want this book?

/  April 21, 2015

The best way would be to tell your local bookstore. They give feedback to the publisher’s sales reps, and it gets back to the publisher. I’m so glad your son liked it!

• jaa, ich wollte ein bisschen dunkler werden aber meine haare sind so kapputt, dunkler machen trau ich denen nicht zu. also habe ich den รƒยผbergang nur ein bisschen getรƒยถnt…

• Thanks for spending time on the computer (writing) so others don’t have to.

17. Becca

/  April 1, 2015

Hey, quick question Matthew. Well two actually, can I call you Kirby? Like the big pink thing with literally a galaxy in his stomach. Second, what is the second book even called?

/  April 21, 2015

Lots of people call me Kirby. Or Kirbs. Or Matt. Take your pick. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becca

/  May 6, 2015

First off, you sir are a fantabulous (fantastic + fabulous) man don’t let anybody tell you otherwise, second off thank you so much for responding to me, i once sent an email to one of my favorite authors, never got a response back it’s nice to see you care about you’re readers. <3

/  April 21, 2015

The second book doesn’t have a title yet. But I have some ideas…

18. Benjamin Wu

/  April 6, 2015

I think the next book will be coming I next month or so, because bookstores need to sell other books, not just The Quantum League
    Just a heads up. But true,I love The Quantum League
    And I look forward to the next book!

19. Peter

/  April 6, 2015

Yes. I agree with Benjamin.

20. David Werner

/  April 6, 2015

Please! Tell us the release date of the second book!

21. Allen

/  April 8, 2015

You are awesome, I love you, you are my favorite book author.

22. Bob

/  April 9, 2015

Maybe needs to complete some kind of quest to get reattached. Or maybe he needs to find a device similar to the one Agent Taggart had when Ben And Peter were in the Room in the Quantum League Headquarters. I really look forward to the next book! *Cheers!* I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOOOOOK!!!!!!!

23. Bob

/  April 9, 2015

Whoops, I ment ,”Maybe he needs”

24. Grace

/  April 20, 2015

Will any books be narrated by Sasha?

/  April 21, 2015

In the third book, yes. In the second book, we see things from Peter’s perspective, and in the third book, it will be Sasha’s turn.

25. Peter

/  April 21, 2015

lol, I don’t think it is a good idea to narrate any books by sasha. It should be narrated by Ben, or Peter.

/  April 21, 2015

Ben and Peter are cool, but Sasha is a really amazing character with her own story. ๐Ÿ˜‰

26. Peter

/  April 22, 2015

Told you Grace ๐Ÿ™‚

/  April 22, 2015

You told her what? The third book WILL have Sasha’s perspective. And it’s pretty cool. ๐Ÿ˜‰

27. Peter

/  April 22, 2015

No, I said I ment that I think that the SECOND book would be in Peter’s or Ben’s prospective.

/  April 22, 2015

Ah, gotcha! You are correct, sir! 2nd book is Ben AND Peter. Third book will add Sasha.

28. Mike

/  May 1, 2015

Will the second book be out this year or the next I need to know

/  July 1, 2015

Probably not this year, unfortunately. But I did have a new book come out in a different series you might like. It’s called The Arctic Code. Maybe check it out at your library!

29. Dven

/  May 5, 2015

Will Ben be able to create bigger than class3

30. Hi Mr.Kirby, it’s me again so i’m in junior high, and i’m kind of a wannabe author, but i can never finish a book because i keep on getting more ideas and start on those, or i never have any time to sit down and write any advice?
    Also, if you would be willing to, i would be eternally grateful, read the first few chapters of a book i’m working on? you don’t have to if you don’t want to i know you’re incredibly busy thanks!

/  July 1, 2015

Oh, I wish I had the time to read your work! I’ve been so busy lately, as you can see by the delay in replying to your comment. My suggestion would be to find some critique partners you trust and work together with them to help each other become better. I have a critique group and they have helped me so much.

31. Jamari

/  May 6, 2015

How did Ben actuated class 3 without locus is it because he felt played and at the moment he was angry because I remember in the book it sailed he couldn’t actuate without a locus how did he do that and cant wait till ur book comes out mr.kirbs and I love ur book I’m a big fan I’ll for sure get the 2nd one when it comes out

/  July 1, 2015

Well, the idea behind the locus is that some people feel like they have the power within themselves, and other people feel like it’s outside themselves. Ben changed when he took the power within himself. It’s kind of like all of us. We can choose to feel like life is just happening to us, and we don’t have any control. Or we can choose to believe we have the power to make our lives better. It’s up to us.

32. is acuation real?

/  July 1, 2015

I would like to think that if we really want something, and we visualize it, and do what we need to do to accomplish it, we can make it happen. Not sure about fireballs, but goals we set for ourselves, certainly.

33. Luke

/  May 23, 2015

I don’t know if it is real but I have tried it with a “locus” and everything but it don’t seem to work

34. Luke

/  May 23, 2015

Like dven said though will Ben be able to create class four or five and while ur at it will Peter or Sasha be able to actuate class 3

35. Kevin

/  June 10, 2015

When will the next book come out?

/  July 1, 2015

Not sure yet. Best thing to do is tell your local bookstore you want it!

36. Terence

/  June 16, 2015

How many books are there going to be in the Quantum League series?????

37. Katherine

/  June 24, 2015

I just finished spell robbers, and I was wondering if you could give a quick synopsis of the second book. Thanks for putting out such great books to keep me occupied for the summer!

/  July 1, 2015

Well, I don’t want to give spoilers, but the second book sees Ben and Peter taking very different paths, but coming back together in a conflict at the end.

38. Benjamin

/  June 28, 2015

Hello Mr. Kirby, I have a question. Will Ronin be icluded in the next book? Or will he and Ben ever meet? And one more question, do you think the book will come out THIS YEAR at least? Thanks! You’re the BEST author in history!

/  July 1, 2015

We haven’t seen the last of Ronin, I can tell you that. I hope the second book comes out soon, too. And THANK YOU!

39. Peter

/  July 1, 2015

Is this book considered a children’s NOVEL?

/  July 1, 2015

My publisher, Scholastic, considers it a “middle grade” novel, so ages 8-14. But I’ve had kids older and younger read and enjoy it. ๐Ÿ™‚

40. Peter

/  July 2, 2015

Hi Matthew, I was asking if this was a novel Cause I have to do some summer reading from a Novel at middle school, So that means I can use it for my Summer Reading, right?

41. Lauren

/  July 6, 2015

Hi, I really admire your work. I want to become an author when I grow up (even if I have to wait a good six years.) Your work is a great inspiration because of how you mixed the reality of physics with fiction of actuation. It is truly amazing. My question is how did you get your book published.

42. Alex

/  July 20, 2015

Matthew how does your publisher decide when the 2nd book comes out.

43. Ryan

/  July 20, 2015

Hello Mathew. I am a big fan of the book and I was wondering, do you have a favorite book (Your books included)? If you can reply an answer, I would like to look and read it while the second book becomes published

44. Anthony

/  July 30, 2015

Will ben ever be reunited with his mom again

45. William

/  August 11, 2015

I am very intrested in your book but do you know when your publisher will release it

46. ZIon

/  August 13, 2015

It’s been a year I almost forgot about the series when will the next book come out!?!?!?!

47. Kai

/  August 22, 2015

In book two is Ben going to find a way to reattach himself?

48. Kai

/  August 26, 2015

When will the second book come out!? It’s been a year and I’m getting frustrated that it’s not out yet

/  September 9, 2015

I’m frustrated, too. Have you tried my other series? The first book is called The Arctic Code. It’s a different story, but I think it might hold you over. And I know when the sequel of that book is coming out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

49. David

/  September 3, 2015

Ronin is my favorite character is he going to be In book 2?

50. Anonymous

/  September 4, 2015

Hi Matt what’s up first off just want to say that SPELL ROBBERS IS THE BEST BOOK I EVER READ!!! Also just wondering when the seconded book is coming out everyone is telling me dates and IM SO CONFUSED I really want to read that book so if you could answer to me that would be great. Thanks!

/  September 9, 2015

Still not sure when the sequel is coming out, but in the meantime, you might like to read my other series, beginning with book 1, The Arctic Code.